Monday, September 17, 2018

A Stress Free Guide to Sick Kids


  Here we are,  mid September. It's a frigid 60 degrees here and my sinuses hate me. It's not just my sinuses either, my entire family has gone into snot mode. It freaking sucks. Now, I love fall! I'm not a pumpkin spice latte kind of girl and I don't own uggs, but I do enjoy the beauty,  feastiveness,  and clean crisp air of the season. However, it also happens to be cold and flu season. At four o'clock this morning the first wave of snot induced vomiting and sore throats began and I'm dreading what's to come. Fortunately, I've become a pro at handling the less desirable parts of the season, mostly stress free. Here's my tips for handling sick kids (and husband) with a lot less stress. I'll also debunk some common cold myths while we're at it!

 The most important thing you can do is prepare yourself. Here, I'll help. "You're going to get covered in bodily fluids and germs! You're going to be fine. You're kids will be fine. You're husband might not be fine, because seriously, the man-cold is the deadliest disease in existence. There's no need to stress!" Okay, so there's the mantra you will repeat to yourself for the next several months. Let's move on.

  Stock up ahead of time. Seriously! Nothing is worse than realizing in the middle of the night that you don't have supplies. Run to the store and grab some tissues, saline, Tylenol, water and sore throat pops now. I also recommend a few bottles of Zarbees, which brings us to our first myth. A lot of people believe that coughing is bad, but it's actually great for clearing the lungs. Don't buy a cough suppressant unless directed by a doctor. I use Zarbees to help soothe the cough but not eliminate it.

  Watch for the signs. The moment your child starts gagging on snot, grab your saline spray and moisten things up. It also helps to get steamy. Let them spend time hanging out in the bathroom while you take your scorching hot shower. I'm not the only mom that likes hot showers, right? Turn the vent off and let the steam work on their snotty little noses. Take this time for yourself, too. Relaxation is important.

  Keep them distracted. Just because a child is sick doesn't mean they are bed bound. It's okay to spend a little extra time in bed, I even recommend it. Enjoy those cuddles, mama, but don't let your child get overwhelmed by the sickness. Read books, build forts, break out the arts and crafts, even go outside a little. Did you know going outdide in the cold doesn't make you sick? That's another myth. Bundle your baby up nice and warm and let them have fun. I've learned that my girls are much less whiny if they are distracted.

  Be sympathetic. It's sometimes hard to remember to be sympathetic. I've caught myself telling my daughter "It's just a cold! You're not dying!" That's not helpful. When kids don't feel good they need a little extra love and cuddles. Remind yourself of that and keep your cool. Try to make your child laugh, be a kid yourself, spend a few extra minutes rubbing their back at bed time. Just show them you understand and it's going to be okay.

  Stay healthy. Do whatever you can to keep them from getting worse. Increase their water intake or add in some Gatorade. Still offer nutritious meals, but have some homemade chicken soup on hand. Chicken contains antibodies that can help fight infection. Add some vegetable broth or fresh veggies to provide a ton of vitamins and nutrients. Avoid store bought soup, as the sodium content is ridiculous. Make frequent handwashing a priority and remember to have them cough in their arm rather than your face.

  Don't overmedicate. I've hand many people look at me like I'm crazy if I don't immediately offer Tylenol for a fever. Here's why, though. When you have a fever your body's immune system is working and a low grade fever is not dangerous. Sudden spikes and drops in temperature can be a problem but not simply having a 100 degree fever for an hour. Monitor their temperatures. If it remains high for several hours, offer Tylenol to bring it down but watch it first. Most fevers will break on their own.

  Once again, the most important thing is to relax. Mom's don't get sick days (isn't that a Dayquil commercial), so, don't stress yourself out and tax your body.

*Be advised, I am not a doctor and it's always best to consult with a doctor for medical advice.




2 comments:

  1. Don't forget lots of vitamin C and zinc also helps the immune system naturally.

    ReplyDelete

Hanging Bats Craft

With Halloween approaching, I have embraced my artsy side and scoured the internet for fun decorations to make with kids. These Hanging ...